Military History Books by War (Updated)

A Forum for Books, Non-Fiction, Fiction, Short Stories, Sudden Fiction, Excerpts, Poetry, etc.
Flattop

14 Sep 2014, 05:50 #1

So a couple of posts on a thread in a different category got me thinking about books I have read about the different U.S. wars.
A quick look (I won't list any WWII as there are just too many to do so):
American Revolution
George Washington's War by Robert LeckieThe Indispensable Man by James Thomas FlexnerWhirlwind: The American Revolution and the War that Won It by John Ferling
War of 1812
From Sea to Shining Sea by Robert Leckie
War with Mexico
From Sea to Shining Sea by Robert Leckie (the book is about both wars)1846: The Year of Decision by Bernard DeVoto
American Civil War
None Died in Vain by Robert LeckieBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Civil War by Harry HansenBruce Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogyThis Hallowed Ground by CattonThe American Civil War: A Military History by John KeeganThe Coming Fury by Bruce Catton
Spanish-American War
In the Days of Mckinley by Margaret Leech
World War I
The First World War by Martin GilbertThe First World War by John KeeganWorld War I by S. L. A. MarshallThe Guns of August by Barbara TuchmanMr. Wilson's War by John dos PassosYanks by John S. D. EisenhowerPity of War by Niall FergusonThe Great War And Modern Memory by Paul FussellJuly 1914: Countdown to War by Sean McMeekinGallipoli by Alan Moorehead
Korea
Conflict: The History of the Korean War by Robert LeckieMacArthur's War: Korea and the Undoing of an American Hero by Stanley WeintraubThunder of the the Captains: The Short Summer in 1950 by David DetzerThe Korean War by Max HastingsCrimson Sky by John R. BruningSuch Men as These by David Sears
Vietnam
Vietnam: A History by Stanley KarnowSemper Fi Vietnam by Edward F. MurphyOn Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Vietnam War by Harry G. SummersThe Best and The Brightest by David HalberstamOn Yankee Station: The Naval Air War Over Vietnam by Commander John B. Nichols, USN (Ret,) and Barrett TIllmanScream of Eagles: The Dramatic Account of the U.S. Navy's Top Gun Fighter Pilots and How They Took Back the Skies Over Vietnam by Robert K. WIlcoxFast Movers: Jet Pilots and the Vietnam Experience by John Darrell SherwoodThud Ridge: F-105 Missions Over Vietnam by Colonel Jack BroughtonWhen Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot Over North Vietnam by Ed RasimusPalace Cobra: A Fighter Pilot in the Vietnam Air War by Ed RasimusPhantom Over Vietnam by John TrottiAlpha Strike Vietnam: The Navy's Air War, 1964-1973 by Jeffrey L. LevinsonA Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam by Lewis Sorely.Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Lies that Led to Vietnam by H. R. McMaster
Gulf War
Crusade by Rick AtkinsonOn Strategy II: A Critical Analysis of the Gulf War by Harry G. SummersIt Doesn't Take a Hero by H. Norman SchwarzkopfMy American Journey by Colin PowellInto the Storm by Tom Clancy and General Fred FranksEvery Man A Tiger by Tom Clancy and General Chuck HornerThe Commanders by Bob WoodwardWings of Fury: From Vietnam to the Gulf War by Robert K. WilcoxStrike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War by William L. SmallwoodWarthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War by William L. SmallwoodHornets Over Kuwait by Jay A. Stout
Iraq War
No True Glory by Bing WestThe Strongest Tribe by Bing WestAssassins Gate by George PackerCobra II by Bernard Trainor & Michael GordonEnd Game by Bernard Trainor & Michael GordonFiasco by Tom RicksTell Me How This Ends by Linda RobinsonThe Fourth Star by David Cloud and Greg JaffePlan of Attack by Bob WoodwardState of Denial by Bob WoodwardThe War Within by Bob WoodwardAmerican Sniper by Chris KyleViper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat by Dan HamptonAmbush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War by Tim Pritchard
Afghanistan
In the Graveyard of Empires by Seth JonesThe Wrong War by Bing WestAll In: The Education of General David Petraeus by Paula BroadwellBush at War by Bob WoodwardObama's Wars by Bob Woodward.A Nightmare's Prayer by Michael FranzakInto the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle of the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer and Bing WestLone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10 by Marcus Lutrell
General
Rolling Thunder: Jet Combat from World War II to the Gulf War by Ivan RendellThe Age of Air Power by Martin Van CreveldGrunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq by John C McManusWhy We Lost: A General's Inside Account of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars by Daniel P. BolgerDeath Ground: Today's American Infantry in Battle by Daniel P. BolgerDuty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War by Robert M. GatesAircraft Carriers at War: A Personal Retrospective of Korea, Vietnam and the Soviet Confrontation by Admiral James L. Holloway III, USN (ret.)America at War: Concise Histories of U.S. Military Conflicts from Lexington to Afghanistan by Terence T. FinnIke's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World by Evan ThomasThe Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today by Thomas E. RicksThe Finish: The Killing of Osama bin Laden by Mark BowdenNo Easy Day: The First Hand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama bin Laden by Mark OwenBlack Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi by Mitchell ZuckoffMilitary Misfortunes: The Anatomy of Failure In War by Eliot A. Cohen and John GoochLegacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim WeinerDecision Points by George W. Bush
Last edited by Flattop on 29 Apr 2017, 23:44, edited 4 times in total.
"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view."
-- Oscar Levant

Flattop

11 Apr 2017, 00:03 #2

This topic came up on a different thread and Blackirish responded with this (instead of a list):
Let's see. Not counting the
considerable amount of history I read before I was thirty, I have
averaged a book a week since that time. Some times I read two or three a
week but some of the very long books take more than one week so I think
this is a pretty accurate number. Once I started reading regularly
again when I did away with television I have not read over 3 books that
were fiction. I find that I simply don't have the time as I always find
something to follow up on in almost every non fiction book I have read. I
couldn't begin to list them all as many of them were library books for
years. Since I started buying and keeping the books I read some 14 years
ago I could list all of them I suppose. 
I
started with history, with a fondness for biographies. I started with
American history and worked my way back. I read all of the English
Oxford History books at the library and then went back to Roman history
for quite a while. I read Egyptian history, Russian history, French
history, German history, Chinese history, Indian history, Viet nam
history, Korean history, Phillipines history, and all the Greek
histories I could find. I read Sumerian history, Judaic history, Spanish
history, Portuguese history, and Czech history. Then I started on
Japanese history and South American history such as it is. I haven't
concentrated on wars per se but have read about every major conflict in
western history at one point or another; usually from several different
perspectives. Probably 80% of the 1100-1500 books I have read since that
time have been on history so I would put that number conservatively at
some 800 books on history in the last 27 years.
Intermixed
with that I started on studies of religion and spirituality. I studied
the Bible and the history of Christianity. I studied the Koran and the
history of Islam. I studied the Talmud and the history of Judaism. Then I
studied the even older religions of Shinto, Confuscianism, Bhuddism,
Hinduism, and Zooroastrianism. I studied the history of the city state
gods of Sumeria which have a striking resemblance to Christianity,
Judaism, and Islam which is not all surprising since Abraham came from
that region of the world and brought their ideas of god with him. I read
the Upanisads, all of the works of Josephus, and quite a few books of
Vedic literature which predate Bhuddism and formal Hinduism. 
I
became interested in geology and continue to delve into that subject
but would put my knowledge about that on a novice level at best. I
became interested in Economics and found that in order to understand it I
had to go back to the beginnings of Economic writings. Ricardo, Adam
Smith, David Hume, John Locke, William Pitt, John Stuart Mill, and on up
through Gailbreath, Keynes, Friedman, Marx, Marshall, Hayek, Samuelson,
and quite a plethora of modern economists from Herman Daly,
Georgescu-Roegen, to Kenneth Boulding. I could probably list all those
here but it is an ever growing number and I am not sure what that would
accomplish to start with. 
As
a break from so much dense material I went back to reading presidential
biographies occasionally. I have read at least one biography and
usually two or three on every American President up through Eisenhower
at the moment. I enjoy how this practice gives numerous different
perspectives on the same event in history as the presidential office is
usually preceeded by some other sort of national political experience.
This means that Presidents often fought with and against their
predecessors on the same issues from exceedingly different
perspectives. 
I
don't discount what others have seen, read, and experienced in their
life and I am always learning new things every single day. I think we
all tend to focus on our own particular interests no matter what we
read. The wider a person's reading list is the wider their area of
interest; at least that has been my experience. The reason I started
buying the books I read is that I find there is a constant awakening of
new understandings as I read. I often find something in one book that
clarifies or more perfectly explains something I read in another book so
I spend some time cross referencing material accordingly. 
"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view."
-- Oscar Levant

Flattop

29 Apr 2017, 23:38 #3

Found these two statements on an old thread:
Blackirish: I have studied the Civil War and the Revolutionary War in much more detail than I have studied other US wars.
Fattop: I have studied World War II the most, but have studied other US wars to some degree.  I may have studied Iraq the second most.http://flattopshistorywarpolitics.yuku. ... s-Win-Wars
-- Oscar Levant

blackirishkarma

30 Apr 2017, 17:38 #4

Flattop wrote:Found these two statements on an old thread:

Blackirish: I have studied the Civil War and the Revolutionary War in much more detail than I have studied other US wars.

Fattop: I have studied World War II the most, but have studied other US wars to some degree.  I may have studied Iraq the second most.

http://flattopshistorywarpolitics.yuku. ... s-Win-Wars
Which I will gladly verify. Is there a point to posting this?
The increase of misery in the present state of society is parallel and equal to the increase of wealth..... Unknown member of Parliament 1840's