13 May 2017, 19:54 #1

I ask because I manage a message
board that is as slow as molasses sometimes. Right now, the Yuku
version of HWP is largely an ongoing conversation between me and one
other person. Whereas the Facebook version of HWP is pretty hot, with
plenty of activity.
OTOH, I am aware of other message boards that are
very active. So, is it Yuku? The platform does have its issues (one
being that everybody has been locked out last weekend). However, there is at least one group, known as
Navweaps, that is very busy. Perhaps that is one reason why my group is
slow. I mean, why go to HWP when you can just stay at Navweaps?
"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view."
-- Oscar Levant

blackirishkarma

16 May 2017, 15:32 #2

My only quibble is with the "slow as molasses" statement. 

The proper term is "slow as molasses in winter"...... 

As for Yuku..... I have noticed a lot of popup adds but other than that I don't see a problem. I have thought of the lack of participation and I don't have an answer except for the possible explanation that it's me. A couple of years ago, an aquaintance invited me to participate in email exchanges on politics and policy as his group of contributors complained that they couldn't find any liberals willing to have such discussions. 

After a couple of discussions devolved into threats of physical violence and general childish name calling I quit participating with his blessing. I think a lot of people on both sides, conservative and liberal really do not enjoy having their views challenged which is why we have the news media we have today. 
The increase of misery in the present state of society is parallel and equal to the increase of wealth..... Unknown member of Parliament 1840's

ferlin

16 May 2017, 15:57 #3

As far as I am concerned, message boards are as interesting as ever. Between business and family needs, I just don't have the time to participate as I would like to. I may appear more active in the facebook version of HWP, but that is because I find facebook an easier platform for sharing articles of interest; I just point and click rather than having to type in addresses. But I do read everything that appears on this board (and a couple others). I find it difficult to reply properly in tweets or quips or blurbs, so I don't.

Flattop

16 May 2017, 23:55 #4

The period between the banning of Cap'n Bob and the return of blackirish were glacier slow.
"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view."
-- Oscar Levant

Flattop

31 May 2017, 03:01 #5

This stopped being fun a long time ago.  Seriously thinking its time to walk away.
-- Oscar Levant

blackirishkarma

31 May 2017, 13:57 #6

Personally.... I would hate to see you do that.

I enjoy our discussions and the occasional input from others. I have always enjoyed such discussions and have found your sight to always be fair and courteous to a degree that I have not found anywhere else. As much as we disagree I value your opinions and your reasoned approach and whether you realize it or not I have learned much from our discussions. I quite enjoy being pushed to explain why I believe what I do as it tends to make me be more detailed in understanding my own biases and reasoning. 

Beyond my blog where I simply post things and never get comments, this is currently the only place where I participate in such discussions. I could understand why you might feel this isn't worth the trouble as the lack of participation is bound to be discouraging. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the effort you put into running the site and I would hate to see you give it up. 

The increase of misery in the present state of society is parallel and equal to the increase of wealth..... Unknown member of Parliament 1840's